During this process you need to keep some rules in your mind which is described below. Writing good content of your blog readers is the most important job that you have to do when you are maintaining a blog which you expect to grow day by day.
You need to concentrate on a few factors which are mentioned below
1. Optimized coding which in case of WordPress or any popular CMS can be attained by going for a SEO friendly theme. Go for a professional theme rather than a free one with better options to customize without any coding.
2. If you are using WordPress, then go for a good SEO plugin like All in one SEO which is a free plugin available at the WordPress plugins Directory. This plugin I feel is the best and easy to use plugin.
3. Write eye catching title for your post with the right keywords and explains your post in few words. Title plays a very important role in getting on top of SERPs (Search Engine Result Pages)
4. Interlink your blog posts with right anchor texts rather than text like.
5. Get links to your posts - This is something done with great care which means that you should not try any method which are against the Webmasters guidelines. If you have a good post, you will get backlinks automatically, so be sincere when you write your posts so that your posts are accepted and liked by your blog visitors and they do the work of linking your posts.
6. Keep your blog fresh with new content - Once you have your blog running, keep track of your blog pages using the Webmaster Tools and watch how things are going. This tool will help you to know more about your blog in search engine point of view.
Let me tell you, I have 75% of my traffic from search engines and search engine traffic are the best as they are people who will bring you real money.